Volunteer Trash Clean-up
VOLUNTEER TRASH CLEAN-UP EVENTS
Due to Hurricane Harvey, the Flood Control District has suspended all volunteer event/projects on flood control property until after the first of the year.
The Flood Control District can help coordinate trash clean-up events along bayous, creeks and stormwater detention basins by providing gloves, trash bags and by collecting trash once an event is complete.
Floatable trash, such as bottles and plastic grocery bags, often enters bayous and stormwater detention basins and eventually collect on land or floats downstream to Galveston Bay. Not only is trash an eyesore, it can impede the flow of stormwater and be hazardous to wildlife and to the environment.
The process to sponsor a trash event is very similar to other volunteer events held on District owned property. The following set of procedures must be followed to ensure a successful event.
- Sponsor must submit a written request (email requests are accepted)
- Request must include a map indicating the desired event location
- Request must include the bagged trash pick-up locations
- Allow the Flood Control District five to ten days to respond to written request and four weeks to coordinate an event
- Release of Liability forms must be completed and signed by all participants (a blank form will be provided by the Flood Control District)
- Gloves and trash bags may be provided upon request.
For more information regarding volunteer events, please call the District office and ask for the Community Services Section.