October 2020 Status Update
The Corps issued an Interim Report to give the public an opportunity to provide feedback on the alternatives that have been explored to date. The Interim Report does not recommend an alternative. Public input received will inform subsequent analysis to identify a Tentatively Selected Plan. In late October, the Corps extended the end of the comment period to November 20, 2020.
Alternatives that are currently presented for public comment include:
- A new dam and reservoir on upper Cypress Creek;
- Acquisitions upstream of the Addicks and Barker reservoirs;
- Conveyance improvements to Buffalo Bayou downstream of the Addicks and Barker reservoirs;
- Buyouts downstream of the Addicks and Barker reservoirs;
- Dam safety modification alternatives; and
- Ancillary measures complementing the above alternatives.
Once the Tentatively Selected Plan is published in 2021, a 45-day public review period, in accordance with the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), will follow. A full study and project schedule are located on the Corps’ website linked below.
The Flood Control District supports the Corps’ initiative to gather public feedback before making firm decisions and highly encourages public participation in this step.
The report and information regarding virtual public meetings is located on the Corps’ website at: https://www.swg.usace.army.mil/Missions/Projects/BBTRS/
To request a paper copy of the report, send an email to the Corps at [email protected]
To submit public comment:
Submit by postal mail, postmarked by November 20, 2020, to:
USACE Galveston District
P.O. Box 1229
Galveston, Texas 77553-1229
By email to: