Together with Barker Reservoir, Addicks Reservoir was built in the 1940s as part of a federal project to reduce flooding risks along Buffalo Bayou, which runs west to east through downtown Houston. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (the Corps) completed construction of Addicks Dam and the outlet facility in 1948. The Corps owns, operates, and maintains the reservoir, including leases or permits for some compatible recreational uses within the basin. Operation of the outlet facilities controls discharges from the reservoir into Langham Creek, then into Buffalo Bayou. Environmentally-sensitive areas and a wide range of wildlife habitats exist within the reservoir boundaries and along the upper tributary reaches that extend into the Katy Prairie.