Sponsoring a tree event is different than volunteering. The following set of procedures must be followed to ensure a smooth process:
- Sponsor must submit a written request to the Property Management Department of the Flood Control District. Request should include a project description as well as a map showing the proposed location. Email requests are acceptable.
- If Flood Control District does not own the property in fee simple, sponsor must also obtain permission from the underlying fee owner before any trees may be planted. The District has limited property ownership information available.
- If preliminary approval is obtained from the District, a planting plan must be approved by a District forester. The planting plan should include:
- Number, species and size of trees
- Specific location and spacing of trees (hand drawn planting plans are acceptable)
- Two year maintenance plan which includes watering, mulching, fertilizing and pruning plans
- Date of tree planting event
- If necessary, the District forester will arrange an on-site meeting to discuss the proposed planting.
- Sponsor and all participants must sign a release of liability waiver which is provided by the District.
VIDEO: How to properly water trees (Trees for Houston)
For more information regarding volunteer events, please call the District office and ask for the Community Services Section.