Process for Using District Rights of Way for Trails
- Sponsor must submit a written project description to the Property Management Department of the District.
- Some property ownership information is available at the District, but abstracting prior to the formal agreement must be done by the sponsor.
- If the District has only a drainage easement, it will be the responsibility of the trail sponsor to obtain written legal permission from the property owner before a trail can be built.
- If the District owns the property in fee, preliminary approval can be granted, provided the sponsor agrees, in concept, to the previously described conditions.
- A meeting on site will be arranged among all interested parties.
- The sponsor must submit construction plans for approval by the District.
- A draft agreement between the District and the sponsor will be prepared by the Harris County Attorney.
- A final agreement, as approved by the County Attorney, will be submitted to the sponsor for execution.
- The agreement executed by the sponsor will be submitted to Harris County Commissioners Court for approval.
- A fully-executed original of the approved agreement will be provided to the sponsor.
- Construction can begin.